Tuesday 15 November 2011

Changing sides - how I went from opposing circumcision to advocating it

Since losing my virginity in 1997, I have had sexual intercourse with fifteen women.  Some of them were typical "one-night stands"; while I enjoyed short and long-term relationships with four of these women.

What I have come to realise is that, with the exception of one of these women, I have not encountered any negative responses to my being circumcised.  On the contrary, the one common denominator seems to be that they feel my penis is cleaner and tastes "nicer".

Now, these statements cannot and should not be conclusive "proof" that circumcised means clean; however, one must put things into context by saying that I live in south Wales, which like most of the United Kingdom, is predominantly non-circumcised.  The town in which I live, has very little in the way of ethnic diversity and one would assume that circumcision is rare.

This, it would seem, is incorrect.

Aside from those who I have just had casual sex with; I have gauged the feelings of each of these women; their preference as well as their experience of men who are circumcised.  It would seem that each of these women genuinely prefer a man to be circumcised.  What did surprise me, however, was that each of the women (who ranged in age, from 19 to 35 years old) had "experience" of at least two men who had been circumcised.  All of these women have lived in my home-town, all of their lives and likewise, had in the most part: only had sexual contact with local men.

One of the women (let's just call her "Leanne") had previously worked as a theatre nurse in the local hospital and informed me that circumcision was the most commonly performed surgery there and that there was one particular surgical team, at the hospital, that was predominantly made up of Muslim doctors and that they were responsible for the highest number of circumcisions, amongst the different surgical teams.

Although I am in favour of circumcision, I do not feel comfortable with the notion that religion may influence a surgical decision.

Those who have read my previous posts will note that I had been circumcised, at a young age and that I had grown up, feeling resentful and embarassed about being "cut".  Indeed, I felt so embarassed that I developed a phobia of exposing my penis in normal settings, such as at a urinal or in a communal changing room.

However, my feelings toward the procedure have changed dramatically.  This has been due to two things:

1.  The positive response and support of nearly all my sexual partners

2.  Becoming a father to two boys

I will tell you more, in just a bit ...

1 comment:

  1. Being from the states circumcision is the norm and most I meet are cut so to speak. I am bi-sexual and have been with 15 or so women and a least twice that many men. It was fortunate that no one made fun of me when I was young so I did not grow up feeling less worthy than the other boys in the gym . I like circumcised cocks, they have a better feel, the are so nice and smooth, and it is easier to get a response from a guy when you are giving him head. I'll vote for staying cut. Mark W. Texas

    ReplyDelete